kevin02

Re: FULL LED SONY 65ZD9 4K HDR

Post by kevin02 »

Le 8k il faut oublier je pense .... en tout cas en France
Tokiorace

Post by Tokiorace »

Sur AVS, est l'explication la plus honnête que je l'ai entendu:
Went to John Lewis Oxford Street today and spent more than 2 hours with the two Sony reps there and the 75inch ZD9. I pre-ordered the 75 inch from TPS with a 10% discount in late July so was keen to get a "preview" before the set arrives.

One rep had a USB so I watched a variety of content in 4K HDR, HD and SD.

My own observations are as follows (and don't attack me for them, this is just what my eyes saw!)

The TV's peak brightness really hits you in HDR scenes.
The colours are rich (I watched in Cinema Pro).
Yes, there is blooming, but it is faint. I noticed it on the Sony logo against the black backdrop as well as whenever there was white text against the black screen.
It produces very deep blacks with great shadow detail that I haven't seen on any TV.

However, I am cancelling my pre-order for it.

It's motion handling is not great. It was a bit embarrassing really as it was the first thing I noticed - movement in the Las Vegas scene on the Sony Demo was juddering visibly (not micro-judder, substantial judder). He first said that the default motion settings on the TV were the cause, but after a long time playing with it it improved a bit but it still didn't seem to be handling it correctly - we reduced major judder to more micro judder. Testing other content, both on his USB and on some of the apps, the motion issues replicated themselves in about 75% of content I saw.

HD upscaling wasn't as impressive as I was hoping - it was just about watchable but not great. SD upscaling was surprisingly good given it was SD content.

So, after 2 hours in an admittedly not great environment I have concluded that this is the TV to get if you are going to watch lots of 4K HDR but for HD and 4K SDR content there are better alternatives for the money, in my opinion. I spent just over 30 minutes with the B6 OLED 65 inch in Cinema screen mode watching exactly the same content (thanks to the USB!) and the picture made me go "wow", something I desperately wanted to do with the Sony but it didn't deliver. I even managed to get some things to play side by side from Youtube and iPlayer (not great sources) but it was a great test to see how the TVs handled it. The OLED impressed me much more on these tests to my eyes.

The Sony rep watched the OLED stuff with me and he said as follows:

That there were still bugs on the ZD9 which will be patched by updates in the coming weeks, this may affect the motion and some of the menus
It was running Android 6.0.1 (I checked) and that there would be an update to this to fix some issues present too.
That in terms of upscaling, the OLED may impress more with HD content (was this him admitting defeat?!) but the Sony will impress more with 4K HDR.

For £6,299, for me it has to impress more than other TVs in all types of content for me to want it.

I'm sure many of you will get great pleasure out of the TV, but it's not for me. Please do not attack me for this post - these are just my observations and my own eyes!

I feel quite disheartened and disappointed as I wanted this to be an amazing set and I really wanted a 75 inch TV. However, ultimately I want a picture which gives me great pleasure to watch day in day out, and from my time with the ZD9 it just won't do that for me.

On reflection, now re-reading the Whathifi review, I have to say my experience this afternoon tends to agree with the motion issues they highlighted.

One last point from today - the fact that the Sony reps were making all these excuses for the set I found quite disappointing.
Tokiorace

Post by Tokiorace »

Sur AVS, est l'explication la plus honnête que je l'ai entendu:
Went to John Lewis Oxford Street today and spent more than 2 hours with the two Sony reps there and the 75inch ZD9. I pre-ordered the 75 inch from TPS with a 10% discount in late July so was keen to get a "preview" before the set arrives.

One rep had a USB so I watched a variety of content in 4K HDR, HD and SD.

My own observations are as follows (and don't attack me for them, this is just what my eyes saw!)

The TV's peak brightness really hits you in HDR scenes.
The colours are rich (I watched in Cinema Pro).
Yes, there is blooming, but it is faint. I noticed it on the Sony logo against the black backdrop as well as whenever there was white text against the black screen.
It produces very deep blacks with great shadow detail that I haven't seen on any TV.

However, I am cancelling my pre-order for it.

It's motion handling is not great. It was a bit embarrassing really as it was the first thing I noticed - movement in the Las Vegas scene on the Sony Demo was juddering visibly (not micro-judder, substantial judder). He first said that the default motion settings on the TV were the cause, but after a long time playing with it it improved a bit but it still didn't seem to be handling it correctly - we reduced major judder to more micro judder. Testing other content, both on his USB and on some of the apps, the motion issues replicated themselves in about 75% of content I saw.

HD upscaling wasn't as impressive as I was hoping - it was just about watchable but not great. SD upscaling was surprisingly good given it was SD content.

So, after 2 hours in an admittedly not great environment I have concluded that this is the TV to get if you are going to watch lots of 4K HDR but for HD and 4K SDR content there are better alternatives for the money, in my opinion. I spent just over 30 minutes with the B6 OLED 65 inch in Cinema screen mode watching exactly the same content (thanks to the USB!) and the picture made me go "wow", something I desperately wanted to do with the Sony but it didn't deliver. I even managed to get some things to play side by side from Youtube and iPlayer (not great sources) but it was a great test to see how the TVs handled it. The OLED impressed me much more on these tests to my eyes.

The Sony rep watched the OLED stuff with me and he said as follows:

That there were still bugs on the ZD9 which will be patched by updates in the coming weeks, this may affect the motion and some of the menus
It was running Android 6.0.1 (I checked) and that there would be an update to this to fix some issues present too.
That in terms of upscaling, the OLED may impress more with HD content (was this him admitting defeat?!) but the Sony will impress more with 4K HDR.

For £6,299, for me it has to impress more than other TVs in all types of content for me to want it.

I'm sure many of you will get great pleasure out of the TV, but it's not for me. Please do not attack me for this post - these are just my observations and my own eyes!

I feel quite disheartened and disappointed as I wanted this to be an amazing set and I really wanted a 75 inch TV. However, ultimately I want a picture which gives me great pleasure to watch day in day out, and from my time with the ZD9 it just won't do that for me.

On reflection, now re-reading the Whathifi review, I have to say my experience this afternoon tends to agree with the motion issues they highlighted.

One last point from today - the fact that the Sony reps were making all these excuses for the set I found quite disappointing.
Goldorak

Post by Goldorak »

je pense que tu veux dire avforum
Honnête en effet mais bizarre vu que une personne a eu une expérience completement différente au même endroit/TV
J y serai moi meme demain avec un autre membre de avforum et on va être fixé...
Tokiorace

Post by Tokiorace »

Goldorak wrote:je pense que tu veux dire avforum
Honnête en effet mais bizarre vu que une personne a eu une expérience completement différente au même endroit/TV
C´est AVForums: https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-b ... t-24035199
Masterwarzombie

Post by Masterwarzombie »

Goldorak wrote:je pense que tu veux dire avforum

Alors tu as pu voir la bestiole ? :)

Il semble que tu ne sois pas convaincu et tu ne conseilles pas à ce jour l'achat de cette TV , vu ton échange sur avforums. Question d'ancien Firmeware et des premières tv produites ?
Sony 77AG9-Arcam AVR 850/ Hegel H190-Enceintes : B&W série 804 D3/HTM2 D3/CM9-Oppo 205-Xbox One X-Conditionneur secteur Powergrip-1
Goldorak

Post by Goldorak »

Desole pour l anglais. Utiliser Google translate mais en gros, la TV est défectueuse plus le firmware date de mai 2016. Dingue que Sony fasse cela...
Le potentiel est énorme malgré cette catastrophe ambulante

Ok here we go.

Disclaimer:
Please remember the context and very very bad environment for testing at JL. I am not a reviewer.I will try to be a bit organised in my feedback. This is my personal feedback as of today and may change subject to new reviews.
Also notice that I don't look for issues like some because I think perfect set doesn't exist. I looked for the obvious of course.
Finally, Only nice forum people will have my full attention :)

Final conclusions:
Yep, I am starting by the end so you know my key feedback first. The Sony is a fantastic and gorgeous tv. Very nice in the flesh. Despite many issues I will report below, I had a glimpse of what it can do. I can tell you that JL model is to be dismissed and sent to a black hole in a galaxy far far away (watching start wars with my son...sorry) Sony tried to please JL without measuring the consequences and damage. We even tried to reboot it completely but the Sony rep lost his nerves just before launching full reboot (not talking simple setting reset, that we did too) :)

For those that didn't order yet, recommend you wait for proper review and new models.
For those that did, hold your nerves and don't cancel. Just make sure you have an agreed return policy.
I honestly believe you will not need it. Potential of zd9 is very very big

I will finish by saying this even if contreversial, I think that the 75xd94 is a fabulous (yep, I said it) bargain at £4K (potentially much less by end of the year). this is purely on value for money consideration. With new OS, the set will become very very interesting
Competition could be the 78ks9500 which is too expensive right now vs 75xd94. Oled is too expensive right now.
When money not an issue, ignore my comment and consider zd9 at that size and below.

FEEDBACK

1. Build quality/design:
This is the easy part. The tv is superb in the flesh and I was even caressing the back (ahemmmm) too much
Welcome back Sony!!!

2. OS: very nicely designed OS and quite fast. However, it is the may version and rep said that it was bad at the start. Remote control ok and different from the usual...believe they made it more robust and texture very rubbery. Reminded me of my son wii joystick in the texture

3. Sound:
The rep tried to show me but didn't care that much. It is not Oled harman kardon but honestly not right place to test that.

4. PQ: where do I start ?
4.1 HDR: he showed me a Star Wars movie and other Sony standard videos (the sushi, the camping and Beach). I also saw ghostbusters movie.
The tv is bright but something wasn't right in all of these. The tv was foggy and we tried standard and cinema pro. Don't get me wrong, everything was there from colors to brightness and nice skin tones but somehow just good.

4.2 HD: we saw bbc hd and saw the formula one race. Upscaling was just ok and not what I hoped. I checked against competition and it should be better

4.3 SD: the tv did a surprising job on SD despite the noise...and poor quality feed. That was re-assuring

4.4 blacks were ok but not very deep. The whole picture felt not crisp enough even for Sony. Rep blamed the matte screen but that's rubbish. I think panel is perfect for light reflection and doesn't look too glossy as the xd94.

4.5 colors: the usual sony colors where there but somehow lacking something. Ghostbusters looked special and Vegas scene was very nice. However, some
Serious blooming was appearing and disappearing (yep, you heard me right) depending on settings. It really made me think something wrong with this tv if things change that much after a simple switch of settings...
No banding and very nice panel uniformity.

4.6 motion: no issue with motion even if Star Wars scene not totally right. I didn't witness any judder.

5. Competition: I checked same content against the dx94 and it was much sharper and color much better. A lot less brightness. I also looked at upscaling of that HD formula one race on Samsung, pana and Sony. Best result was on Samsung big time (ks8 and ks9)

6. Brightness: special section for this as was weird. When you look at the OS screen, it is incredibly bright and sharp like Oled. In fact, out of all I have seen, the OS screen is what really gave me a glimpse of that panel. It was very very Oled like, a bit like when you look at it on an apple Retina display monitor. Never seen an OS screen so nice and sharp even compared to the lg Oled next to it

Secondly, the camping scene with usual 4x4 and lights show you how bright the tv can be but something was also not right there...it was bright like 1000 nits but no more...it was like the tv wasn't going much higher ?!!!
How do I know ? I have spent a week with a 65ks95 in spain (I sound like a pervert, I wish). You expect the Sony to have that kind of brightness and much more.
Again, the OS screen by accident showed me that the tv can be very bright with top contrast and blacks...

7. Final word: I am sure I am forgetting things. However, to resume, I will say that despite a relative car crash, I saw a glimpse of what this set is capable
Like Drax said (if you don't know Drax, don't even talk to me!!!), Sony is an IMBECILE for allowing such a bad set in the European wild
I hope someone from Sony is reading this. If they have any common sense, they will move their ass and get to JL tomorrow
With a software update and reset that tv or bin it all together...

I am angry with Sony but also can tell this is a special tv. In fact, I know it is.
However, I am not also a fanboy. I am not loosing faith but I give Sony 4 weeks max to sort this mess...
Personally, Philips Oled now is my plan B as cheaper and smaller (save me divorce costs)
Sony remains my plan A but they have very little credit running...finger crossed

I need a beer now. Forgive me guys if this is not AVforum standard but I tried
bebeu78

Post by bebeu78 »

perso j attends le test de Nicolas :^)
home-ciné Focal Dome 5.1 - meuble Sonorous MD9140 - ampli Yamaha Aventage A820 - Sony BDP S790 - TV Sony 65XE9305 - 55HX950 et 46hx920 - bbox HD (adsl)
Goldorak

Post by Goldorak »

Moi aussi !!!!!
Goldorak

Post by Goldorak »

Le feedback des américains est top
Juste les premières TV en Angleterre sont des prototypes (mai 2016)
Ils sont bête de mettre cela sur l équivalent des Champs Elysées
Faut être con ou suicidaire...désolé